Re: McKinley: All sorts of things...

From: Katherine Hartsough <kthartsough@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 18:01:41 PDT

  I loved "The Ordinary Princess"! I think I read it last several years
ago, but that was probably my second or third reading. Is it really written
by M.M. Kaye? She's also written several mystery novels, but they
disappointed me because her female characters are too dependant on the male
hero, who say say obnoxious things to them like they're idiots or stupid.
If that's a loving manner, then I'll have none of it! But the Princess book
wasn't like that, and the heroine wasn't a ditz, so I definitely recommend
it. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Farjeon's "The Glass Slipper",
which I've heard is good, but it's checked out at my library. I'd also
recommend Elizabeth Marie Pope as a childrens' author who writes somewhat
fairy tale-ish stories. My only complaint is that now that I'm older, some
of the children's stories have less power to interest me. I find that, when
re-reading some of the books I loved, I wish for more character depth and
such. However, the best childrens' authors remain compelling to me even
now. To add a remark about Patricia C. Wrede, I've found that her writing
seems more immature to me now, but that may be because I like her newer
novels less, such as Magician's Ward and the Raven's Ring. I think that if
I were to re-read her Dragons series, I would really enjoy it.
              -Katie