Re: McKinley: All sorts of things...

From: ShanChan <shanchan@excite.com>
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 19:35:41 PDT

Speaking of Tepper, is "The Revenants" one of her books? I liked that one a
lot...
 Also, I put in an order at amazon.com for "A Tale of Time City" by Dianna
Wynne Jones, but they are having a hard time finding it. Any ideas?
 Shan

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Danielle wrote:

> "Beauty" is by far my least favorite Tepper book.
> "Grass" is a lot better, and I also liked "A
> Plague of Angels" - they're not the _nicest_
> books out there, but they're not horrible
> (pointless, idiotic, poorly done?), as I found
> "Beauty" to be. Yes, if you look hard enough
> there's a 'message' in all of 'em, but I swear
> they aren't all as obnoxious as "Beauty" about
> it. Oh yeah - and "The Gate to Women's Country"
> is kind of a classic. That one's message is
> quite apparent, but it does more of making you
> think about it for yourself than trying to conk
> you over the head (the way I thought "Handmaid's
> Tale" did - oh, I won't even get started, that
> would be WAY too offtopic).
> I read Hambly's series about a mercenary dude who
> turns out to be a wizard or something, a long
> time ago. (great sentence there, huh? :P) The
> first one was really good - "The Ladies of
> Mandrigyn," I think... I read two or three of the
> sequels. I haven't gotten to anything else by
> her, sorry, but I promise she can be found in the
> states :).
> Tamora Pierce has yet another quartet coming; the
> first one is out, about a girl knight in Tortall
> again (oh, but a _different_ one!... geez).
> Wow, Garth Nix - I just read "Sabriel" for the
> millionth time or so, last week. That is a great
> book. (What happened NEXT??!?! arrrrgh - I've
> made up my own versions, but I want to read his!)
> Wasn't Kara Dalkey one of the Fairy Tale series
> (er, Scribblie project) authors? "The
> Nightingale" -
> Okay, here's another 'you have to read it!!!' for
> "Ender's Game." It was one of my favorite books
> when I was little, and I still love it. I like
> the note he stuck before the new edition, but
> don't read that before you read the actual book.
> Hey, I just remembered one of my other favorite
> books when I was little - "The Ordinary
> Princess," by M.M. Kaye. It's out of print, but
> there are lots of copies around... I love the
> illustrated hardcover. The story is pretty
> awesome, too, all you lovers of 'girls who do
> things.' She doesn't exactly go out and kill
> dragons, but she's not a layabout, delicate
> little blond angel of a princess, certainly.
> Enough from me. Goodnight!
> Danielle :)
mckinley]

It's all ketchup: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/2783/

"If it were only my life, and that would stop it- I have sometimes offered
it, not happily, for less. But it is not only my life, and you have not
asked, but taken." -Captain Kirk
"Presto! A little white bunny." -Mitch Peleggi
"My apathy is palpable at this moment." -Tom Servo
"We're a pacifist race. We only kill out of personal spite." -Brain Guy