Re: Re: McKinley: riddles/mazes/labyrinthes

From: Katherine Hartsough <kthartsough@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 18 1999 - 21:02:02 PDT

which she knew the answer, such as "What color is the sky?", etc. Of
course, I don't remember thinking of that when I watched the movie- probably
too prosaic, anyway.
   I don't know of any novel or movie versions of "the Snow Queen" or "East
of the Sun, West of the Moon", but I love both those stories, and would love
an answer to your question. All I know is that I've come across several
versions of the second story, one of which is in a beautiful book
illustrated by Mercer Mayer. You should really take a look at it, if you
haven't already. I remember that it was somewhat different from the
traditional version I remembered. I just remembered that there is a movie
version of the story, but I can't remember the name, so that's probably not
much help. It wasn't very good, anyway, but you might try looking it up,
keeping in mind that it plays up the bear element. Now that I'm thinking
about it, my mind keeps coming up with other things- I've read an
interesting, modernized version of the tale(utilizing the idea of having a
pen pal), though it pretty much leaves out the "east of the sun, west of the
moon" part, and focuses on the idea of transformation. It was in an
anthology, and I'm almost sure it was in "The Year's Best Fantasy and
Horror" (if you want to avoid the horror, like I do, just check over the
stories edited by Terri Windling- there are two editors). I'm not sure of
the year, but there haven't been that many editions, since it was started
fairly recently. Besides, if you enjoy fairy tale retellings, you'll find
plenty of other stories in there to interest you. There are also retellings
in a collection of childrens' books called "Little House" books. It's a
series, with many retellings (the higher numbered volumes contain the tales
for older children, such as "the Snow Queen"), and if you could find it at
the library, they're really good, with great illustrations. As you may have
noticed, I think illustrations are a really important part of fairy tales,
if they're in childrens' book form.
   Anyway, sorry I couldn't give you much. If you get more info. on those
tales, I'd would love to hear about it.
                 -Katie
P.S. If your version doesn't contain the "bear element", I'll explain that
the prince appears as a bear to the maiden, and it is he who takes her to
the castle where she first stays. The whole part about not being able to
see the (husband?/master of the castle?) is very much like the tale of Cupid
and Psyche.