Re: McKinley: recommendations?

From: Sarah I <Arahsae@netscape.net>
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 20:53:22 PST

I haven't posted here in eons!!!

Here are my suggestions. I have the exact opposite problem--stacks and stacks to read and no time! Plus I just keep buying more, which doesn't help financially, but it is like therapy for me! From the books you said you liked, it sounds like we have similar tastes. I hope some of these work for you, unless you have already read them...

> Urban fantasy

Neverwhere--Neil Gaiman I think this can be considered urban fan. I loved it, anyway, and I enjoyed all the books you suggested.

> Books about apprentice knights/wizards/sorcerers/witches:

Deep Secret--Diana Wynne Jones

> Fantasy books set on college campus or about students of any kind:

The Year of the Griffin--Diana Wynne Jones This is a sequel to DARK LORD OF DERKHOLM, but you don't have to read the first one. It helps, but is not totally necessary.

The Summer Tree: Part One of the Fionavar Tapestry--Guy Gavriel Kay This is about a group of college students.

Other random fantasy recommendations:

Stardust--Neil Gaiman
Green Rider--Kristen Britain
The Changes Trilogy--Peter Dickinson
Tea with the Black Dragon--R.A. MacAvoy
Seaward--Susan Cooper
Enchantment--Orson Scott Card
To Say Nothing of the Dog--Connie Willis

And there's also a new Stevermer book out. I can't recall the title, but it is set in the same world as COLLEGE OF MAGICS.

I've been heavily into Tim Powers lately. Anyone else read him?

Sarah