Re: McKinley: what is a spindle?

From: ShanChan <shanchan@excite.com>
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 08:43:21 PDT

I think you may be confusing spinning wheel with spindle. The spindle is the
long stick-like part you wrap the thread around after you've spun it on the
wheel. A picture:

Getting my copy of Spindle's End by the end of next week, hopefully. Be
easier to chat then!

Shannon

On 6 Jun 00 10:31:01 CDT, mckinley@its.caltech.edu wrote:

> I've gotten zero replies for my post about the Spindle's End, which leads
me
> to believe that none of you have read it yet. Hmmm. Well, I have a
general
> question for everyone. I went to our Folk Life festival this weekend and
> spent a great deal of time with this woman who was spinning yarn from
wool.
> (She was sitting on the porch of this old log cabin; very picturesque.)
What
> is the pointy part on a spindle that you could possibly prick your finger
on?
> You know, the basis for the sleeping beauty evil... If any of you have
any
> insight into this question, please help me.
>
> thanks,
>
> Morgan
>
> Morgan Orceyre Hanzlik
>
> Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.
>
> A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train
stops. On
> my desk, I have a work station...
>
> If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?

mckinley]

It's all ketchup: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/2783/
"If it were only my life, and that would stop it- I have sometimes offered
it, not happily, for less. But it is not only my life, and you have not
asked, but taken." -Captain Kirk
"Presto! A little white bunny." -Mitch Peleggi
"My apathy is palpable at this moment." -Tom Servo
"We're a pacifist race. We only kill out of personal spite." -Brain Guy