Re: [McKinley: native american stuff]

From: <hanlon@earthling.net>
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:57:26 PDT

 ---- you wrote:
> My favorite is one about a
> rock, but I can't remember the guy's name (and I think >it's only vaguely
> Indian... oh, well...). It starts with B and the story >is about someone who
> has a favorite rock. Anyone know the one I mean?

It's called "Everybody Needs a Rock", and it affected me profoundly in middle school. Someone (maybe the author) read it at a school assembly. It's about how if you keep a rock in your pocket at all times, you will always be reminded of and connected to nature, because you can always reach down and touch a little piece of the earth, no matter where you are. I lost my first rock, but I still carry the second one in my pocket every day, 5 or 7 years after I heard that book read. I put it on my dresser at night with my keys and my chapstick, and I'm sure my roommate thinks I'm nuts :)
The author is Byrd Baylor--I found it on Amazon.
If we're talking picture books too, don't forget Paul Goble, who won a Caldecott for "The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses" and wrote and illustrated many other books based on Indian legend, like "Death of the Iron Horse", which is about the Indians racing their horses against a train and winning.