Re: [Re: McKinley: spindles end]

From: <Sabhdh@aol.com>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 20:52:29 PST

Salvete, omnes!

Personally, I adored Tam Lin. I thought the literary references were
fascinating, and I used it as a sort of 'reading list'- I figured that since
I had enjoyed so much of what I *had* read of what she referenced, that I was
bound to like most of the rest. And, so far, this has certainly been the
case. I started The Worm Ouroboros recently (mostly because of Tam Lin),
and it's just a gorgeous book. The prose is very beautiful; I can see why
Dean quoted it. Anyone out there want to comment on it? (With the
profusion of English-types on this list, I'd be interested in hearing a
somewhat more informed viewpoint than my own-- I'm a bio/chem undergrad.)

About the rest of the Fairy Tale series, I've read all that I've managed to
get my hands on. I *believe* the only one I haven't gotten to is the
Charles de Lint, but I'm not certain on that. I loved them all, but they
were certainly very different. I was going to pick favorites, but I suppose
I really can't decide. Hm....or can I? I suppose so- definitely Briar
Rose. Leaving aside the great respect I have for Yolen's writing, I thought
that the book epitomized the point of the series-- an old fairy tale, clothed
in a context that preserved the story, but made it real. (Speaking of
Yolen, has anyone read The Cards of Grief? It's another favorite of mine.)

As for the other books, I have read The Nightingale (which seems to be one of
the more elusive of the series, though I don't know why.) Dalkey wrote a
good story, though in places she strayed pretty far from the original, imo.
Worth a read just for the atmosphere; she seems to have a penchant for feudal
Japan, and her descriptions of Court life are very rich.

Well, I've probably babbled at you folks for long enough- happy reading!

Valete,
Carolyn