Re: McKinley: Where in the world are the McKinley fans?

From: Katherine Hartsough <kthartsough@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 19:30:59 PDT

  I agree about the fallible characters being a big + in retellings. I
really liked Dean's Tam Lin, by the way! However, I think it's not just the
imperfection, which we can all relate to, but also the added depth. In a
fairly long retelling, there is room for all the motivations, emotions, etc.
that just aren't present in the short fairytales. It's like putting 2D
characters in the 3D, or adding shadows and highlights to a painting. In
the retelling, it's the characters that really attract, rather than the
story. Of course, this is all my opinion. It makes me think of the Disney
movies- the early ones, like Sleeping Beauty (which I loved because of the
beautiful drawings of the woods, etc.) had beautiful characters that seemed
to have little thought going through their brains, especially the female
main characters. I think in the later ones, though I still have complaints,
these characters have more spunk and depth. In other words, the female
characters approach the McKinley type (though IMO, they have a long way to
go).
            -Katie