Re: McKinley: oops!

From: <Sabhdh@aol.com>
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 20:30:50 PDT

Felicitations and salutations, once again!

>I like that Martin has
>no compunctions with killing a character . . . neither does Kay. It's sad
>and I get mad that the person had to die, sometimes, but it's always
>warranted and just the right thing to happen. In a wrong and depressing
>kinda way.

I agree! I'm very big into my fantasy being realistic- okay, I know, how
realistic are dragons and wizards? But they *can* be... Anyways, I think
that it really adds to the realism if an author isn't afraid to off major
characters. Not simply for the sake of doing so, but because it's really
what should happen...divine intervention and last-minute treaties work only
so often. And it keeps me on my toes, as it were, because I know that if
the author could kill *this* person, why, then, no one is sacred. Sure,
after I've read far enough to realize that one of my favorite characters is
actually dead, and not just pretending or under a spell or replaced by some
doppleganger corpse (I can get pretty creative when I want people not to be
dead...), I rage and disturb everyone around me with random exclamations of,
"They killed so-and-so...!!!!" But deep down, I think that's one of the big
qualities that seperates really good fantasy from badly written AD&D-type
stuff. (Not to cast aspersions upon role-playing, or anything..but that's a
different issue.)

>Who's buying a lute?? And how'd you learn to play it???

Um, that would be me. If I can find a 15-string, 8-course Rennaissance lute
in good condition that won't bankrupt me forever. (Not that it wouldn't be
worth it, but I doubt the student loan people'd be thrilled.) I'm pretty
new at it- starting my 2nd year of lessons, which are actually offered at
William & Mary, where I go to school. (Don't anyone hunt me down now that
you know, okay? ;) ) Actually, last fall the College had Paul O'Dette
for a concert, which was truly excellent. See him if you get the chance!!!!

>Anyways, about Beauty and the Beast retellings, Mercedes Lackey did one
>called "The Fire Rose".

I read that! I agree, I was sort of fascinated by the richness of the
'Beast's lifestyle, as well as by the whole ancient languages thing.
(Die-hard Latin fan, myself.) All the magic stuff seemed a bit contrived,
though- at least near the end. Mercedes lackey isn't a favorite author of
mine, although I recently read some of her urban fantasy and was pleasantly
surprised. Or maybe I was simply really bored when i read it.

>Just out of interest, what do you find the most appealing about the
>fairytale anyway?

Uh...geez, what a question. The characters, I think. I know that's pretty
general, but when I think of some of my favorite retellings- like Robin's
Beauty- it's Beauty I think of first, because I really liked her. The
Beast, too. I mean, plot is obviously important, but I can forgive an
author nearly anything if their characters are believable and real and at
least some of them I find genuinely likable.

Valete, all!

Carolyn