Re: McKinley: Re: epic fantasies

From: Katherine Hartsough <kthartsough@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 02:15:06 PDT

once he was no longer a kid. Spoilers ahead, for anyone who wants to read
Melanie Rawn: It also REALLY frustrated me when Tallain died, because I
loved him with Sionell. I was so relieved that Sionell wasn't with Pol by
the end of the book. I guess, though, it's kind of a testament to the
fascination of her novels that I stay with them even when the main character
irritates me. I focused on side characters, like that cool female character
who masqueraded as a boy. Have you read her recent series. If you have,
I'd just like to say that I find Cailet as irritating as Pol, and read the
books for Sarra, etc. I can't believe Collan died!!! I was so afraid he
would.
Please discuss, off the list if it's too off-topic.
   Ok, spoilers over. I agree with several of the recommendations (a lot of
the authors I haven't read yet). William's series including the book "Green
Angel Tower" is well worth the huge size of the books. I found it very
beautiful, although I found that the last in the series surpassed the first
two. Beagle is great, too- The Last Unicorn, or A Fine and Private Place.
Patricia C. Wrede is one I've always loved, although I have to say that my
enjoyment of her books has lessened since I got older. But maybe her books
have just not been as good recently. Of hers, I would recommend Snow White
and Rose Red, which is a beautiful retelling of that tale (in the same
series as the Tam Lin book by Pamela Dean), Sorcery & Cecilia, and her
Dragons series, which includes "Calling Dragons" (I think that's the title).
  Anyway, Eli, if you like good sci fi, I recommend CJ Cherryh, her space
books (Rimrunners, Heavytime, Tripoint, etc.) are really exciting.
                  -Katie