Re: McKinley: mystery novels

From: Tawen Chang <tchang@law.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 00:40:32 PST

Hello,

        This is actually my first time posting, and I haven't completely kept up
with what everyone has said, so if I repeated something someone else has
said--sorry.

        I think there's a series set in Medieval times by Sharon Newmann that
features, at least in the first book, a novice. It was pretty good.

        I personally love Sarah Smith (Vanished Child, Knowledge of Water)--I
can't remember when exactly the time periods are in these novels, but I
think it's 1920's or thereabout, and Teri Holbrook (A Far and Deadly Cry,
The Grass Widow)--very atmospheric, featuring a historian and her
four-year-old Katie Pru. I also liked Laurie King's first novel in the
Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series: The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Also
Dianne Day (The Strange Files of Fremont Jones, Fire and Fog, The Bohemian
Murders), featuring a Bostonian woman who went to CA on her own to set up
her own business as a typist in the late 1800's. Margaret Lawrence (Heart
and Bone (?), Blood Red Roses, Burning Bride)--with a midwife main
character, set immediately after the American Revolution.

        Other authors I am just starting on and think are pretty good: Dorothy
Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey series), Jeffrey Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia
Sachs)--if you like forensics, this is your type of novel, Deborah
Crombie--the names of the characters just went out of my head, but it's
about an inspector and a sergeant in Scotland Yard.

        Phyllis Whitney writes romantic suspense. Patricia Cornwall is mainly
famous for her Scarpetta series. The main character is a medical examiner
who also does work for the FBI. I read parts of the series but it never
made too deep an impression on me. The one I read was about a serial
killer, I think.

        Sorry this is so long. I am trying to procrastinate so I won't have to
learn all about the intricacies of proxy voting in corporate law. <sigh>.

Tawen