McKinley: New Topic: antics in the White House

From: Betty <bettywinslow@usa.net>
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 08:13:02 PST

I was given a copy of a very interesting "letter to the editor" yesterday and
wanted to share it with all of you, although I won't be surprised if I'm the
last one to know. I often am!

"In 1974, a young female attorney helped draw up the rules under which Richard
M. Nixon would be tried by Congress for impeachment. "Impeachment", she wrote,
"did not have to be for criminal offenses - but only for a 'course of conduct'
that suggested an abuse of power or a disregard for the office of the
president of the United States."

She wrote "that a person's 'course of conduct', while not particularly
criminal, could be of such a nature that it destroys trust, discourages
allegiance, and demands action by the Congress." She wrote that "The office of
the president is such that it calls for a higher level of conduct than the
average citizen in the United States."

This young female attorny who helped write the standard under which presidents
are to be judged by the House of Representatives has a unique perspective
about the present situation in the White House. You see, that female attorney
who said that an unethical 'course of action' could overthrow a president is
now the First Lady, Hillary Rodham Clinton."

Interesting how personal gain can change a person's point of view, isn't it?

Betty