Re: McKinley: Choices (Spoilers: Rose Daughter, Beauty)

From: Maren Williams <mhwilliams@chop.isca.uiowa.edu>
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 22:21:52 PST

NAME "Chavela Que" writes:
>This raises another interesting question about Robin's works -- how little
>herheroines value themselves. Lissar is pushed away in a corner; Aerin lets
>herself be patronized by Perlith; Beauty is awkward and shy. The
>conventionallybeautiful people (Galanna, Trivelda & Lissar's parents) are
>not to be trusted,while the less lovely (Aerin, Beauty, Tor, Ossin) become
>the heroes.
>Cheryl K
>[To drop McKinley, tell: majordomo@cco.caltech.edu unsubscribe mckinley]
and as you might infer, Robin had the same problem. she said that as a
teenager, she was "fat and weird" and that now she has "left off being fat and
come into my own as weird". i think her writing helped a lot; she notes that
most of her early (unpublished) stories featured almost nothing but tall,
awkward, light-skinned girls having wondrous adventures.

---
Maren "Bob" Williams
Beatler, (They Might Be) Gianthead, Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson
worshipper, Neutralist, Cherry Coke junkie
"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party
of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else
where I was capable of thinking for myself." - Thomas Jefferson
[To drop McKinley, tell:  majordomo@cco.caltech.edu  unsubscribe mckinley]