Re: McKinley: Choices (Spoilers: Rose Daughter)

From: Damien R. Sullivan <phoenix@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 12:54:33 PST

On Feb 9, 11:09pm, Cimmorene@aol.com wrote:

> maybe even better because he is NOT beautiful. The ending where the guy turned
> into a prince always bothered me before. Why was it necessary (unless it it
> metephorically that he turns into a prince in her eyes)?

In the fairy tale, beautiful people marry beautiful people, so he has to
change.

In _Beauty_, the sorcerer's curse was presumably that he be an ugly
beast until someone loved him, in which unlikely circumstance the curse
would end. Nothing symbolic, it's just the obvious way to do a curse.

_Rose Daughter_ leaves us wondering if they'll manage to have any
children.

-xx- GCU Librarian Bound in Pale Leather X-)

"Anyway, I would not be a woman in this society."
 -- "A Gift from the Culture"