Re: [Re: McKinley: HERO AND THE CROWN]

From: ShanChan <shanchan@excite.com>
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 12:25:58 PDT

As a long-time net denizen- there will always be newbies, and they will
never pay attention...

Just finished the second Bridget Jones book, hilarious if just as hokey as
the first one. Also, what do you all think of the Harry Potter books? Pretty
great, although the third one was a bit overdone. She needs to get rid of
that mean proffessor, he's just getting boring.

Shan

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:07:10 GMT, mckinley@its.caltech.edu wrote:

> do you guys think that
> anyone will ever realize that this is not a personal email to Robin but
to a
> list??
>
> alex
>
> >From: phoenix@ugcs.caltech.edu
> >To: mckinley@its.caltech.edu
> >Subject: Re: [Re: McKinley: HERO AND THE CROWN]
> >Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:06:43 -0800
> >
> >Alex wrote:
> > > As far as the dragon stone goes, as I'm sure you know, it was from
the
> >last
> > > drops of blood from Maur's heart. The stones were the prizes that
the
> >hero
> > > took back from killing a dragon, not the head (I can't remember
whether
> >or
> > > not Luthe or Agsded told Aerin this).
> >
> >Luthe.
> >
> > > If you didn't understand that in the
> > > end Aerin found that she had the tools for the crown all the time and

> >(this
> > > gets a little difficult to explain), that she travelled back in time
> > > actually create the crown, then you will need to reread the novel.
This
> >is
> > > a main part of the book and very important to understanding what
> >happened
> > > and any symbolism.
> >
> >Katya wrote:
> >
> > > this: Aerin and Agsded fight in the future ("I really was a long time
> > > climbing?" she asks Luthe) and Aerin continues to go forward in time
as
> >the
> > > tower/crag falls (And I really was a very long time falling?). Luthe

> >tells
> >
> >I have to chime in with Katya; I don't know where you got the back in
time
> >bit. Luthe said she went forward. And the evidence supports that: when

> >she
> >lands the ruins of Agsded's tower have been reclaimed by the jungle.
> >
> >How that was supposed to work, I don't know. As Robin's letter to me
> >indicates, _Hero_ doesn't bear too much reductionist analysis.
> >
> >I did like the idea that Aerin's mother might have forged the Crown way
> >back
> >when. I think I got that idea from my overfertile imagination.
> >
> > > *past*) in the City, in the blue garden with Narknon. As for the
crown,
> >she
> > > was always worthy of it, and had everything she needed to inherit
> > > Damar...Agsded had the crown, but Aerin did have what it took to
defeat
> >him by
> > > her own power and her own intelligence.
> >
> >I have to say that intelligence was not obviously present in that fight.

> >Or
> >if it was, it was Gonturan's intelligence guiding Aerin's power.
> >
> >Aerin leaves Luthe. Animals mysteriously follow her. They break a door
in
> >the tower, where Aerin herself had failed. She climbs. She climbs.
She
> >climbs. She and Agsded trade words, then swordblows, then she loses
> >Gonturan,
> >then she throws the bloodstone-surka wreath at him and he gets burned by

> >his
> >own fire. Then she falls. And falls. Oh, and all the surka everywhere

> >dies.
> >
> >Does this make much sense? Not to me. I guess it has that mythic feel.

> >But
> >Aerin's personal abilities were much more obvious when she was
> >dragonfighting.
> >Later the kelar just takes over.
> >
> >Separtely, Rose Daughter didn't thrill me. But I can't say why anymore.
> >
> >-xx- Damien X-)
mckinley]

mckinley]

It's all ketchup: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/2783/
"If it were only my life, and that would stop it- I have sometimes offered
it, not happily, for less. But it is not only my life, and you have not
asked, but taken." -Captain Kirk
"Presto! A little white bunny." -Mitch Peleggi
"My apathy is palpable at this moment." -Tom Servo
"We're a pacifist race. We only kill out of personal spite." -Brain Guy