McKinley: Re: physical deformity

From: Sarah I <Arahsae@netscape.net>
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 23:22:03 PST

mckinley@its.caltech.edu wrote:

> hello! in addition to my query last time about young adult books dealing with physical abuse, does anyone know of any young adult novels that address characters dealing with physical deformity of some kind

The only one I can think of off the top of my head was a book I didn't enjoy at all--BEAUTY by Susan Wilson. I thought it might be a good retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but it was really sappy and I hated it. The deformity comes in as one of the main characters has a genetic disease that disfigures his whole body. Not really YA, but there you go.

Sarah