Re: [McKinley: SPINDLES END-----SPOILERS!!!!!!]

From: Morgan O.Hanzlik <morceyre@netscape.net>
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 09:43:12 PDT

I just finished reading this lovely yarn, and I was impressed by the changes
she makes in the actual fairy tale. I will agree that I had to go back and
re-read particularly lengthy phrasing which was confusing, but in the end, I
had to admit that I am such a fan of Ms. McKinley's that I actually enjoy this
:). But mostly I wanted to say that the ending was so surprising to me. I
really didn't expect Peony to become the princess, and I didn't expect the
final confrontation between Rosie and Pernicia. It *almost* was a retelling
of the Hero, because she gets all these animals to help her and ultimately it
is the animals who control destiny. So, I suppose, there are so many
different things to say at this point, that I'll let the discussion start
here. :) Oh, and thank you Ms. McKinley!

Morgan

Sarah Imholt <Arahsae@netscape.net> wrote:
> Hey all-
>
> I think I recall somebody else saying they had read it, but if not, skip
> this!
>
> SPOILERS FOR SPINDLE'S END FOLLOWING!!!
>
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> OK-I finally got my hands on a copy of SPINDLE'S END and read it, and
> though I enjoyed the book, it is not among her best. I liked ROSE DAUGHTER
so
> much and this was a little disappointing. The storyline is great, but
> difficult to read. I don't know if she's getting more leeway with editors
or
> what, but this book was full of far too many lengthy parentheses. I had to
> keep going back and re-reading paragraphs because I lost my train of
thought
> between all the dash marks and commas and parentheses, one after the other.

> The book could have used another phase of editing to tighten eveything up,
> including moving the frame of the story a little, as all the action happens
in
> just the last 50-100 pages or so. I kept waiting and waiting as I got
nearer
> and nearer the end.
>
> This book also doesn't have the emotional OOMPH I get from Robin's best
> writing, but I still liked it. I cannot NOT like it because I'm just too
> biased as a fan of her stuff!
>
> Any comments?
>
> Sarah

Morgan Orceyre Hanzlik

Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On
my desk, I have a work station...

If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?