Re: McKinley: Deerskin: Rewritings of fairytales

From: ShanChan <terrya@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 16:02:07 PDT

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Karen Chan wrote:

> 30th May, 1998. 1:31 a.m.
>
> This is one thing that really fascinates me about Robin McKinley; she can
> rewrite fairytales without changing their essential structure or plotlines.
> I think she really brings out latent elements of fairytales/folktales that
> make you see them in a different light.

Hey, if you like retellings, try out the "Fairy Tale Series" edited by
Terri Windling and someone else I can't remember. Several authors are part
of the series, the best one by far is "Snow White, Rose Red" (can't
remember her name either, sorry, amazon.com probably knows.)
Shan
It's all ketchup: http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~terrya

"If it were only my life, and that would stop it- I have
sometimes offered it, not happily, for less. But it is not
only my life, and you have not asked, but taken." -Captain Kirk

"Presto! A little white bunny." -Mitch Peleggi

"My apathy is palpable at this moment." -Tom Servo

"We're a pacifist race. We only kill out of personal spite." -Brain Guy