Re: McKinley: mary magdalen in fiction?

From: Tawen Chang <tchang@law.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 22:01:13 PDT

That's funny, I was just looking on Amazon.com at this book that just came
out in June. It's in hardcover: Daughter of the Shining Isles by Elizabeth
Cunningham, which is the first book in the Magdalen Trilogy. There
apparently is some unconventional mix of spiritual/religious traditions,
but the reviews look good.

There was also a short story related to Esther & Xerxes in one of the
Sisters in Fantasy collections edited by Susan Shwartz. The story is much
more about the Esther's predecessor queen though, who in the Bible was
banished by Xerxes because of her pride. The story really wasn't too kind
to Esther--the banished queen was the heroine.

I also seem to have a vague memory of a book focusing on Jonathan's sister
(was it Michal?) and her unhappy marriage to David. My Bible knowledge is
not really up to par, so I don't know if David actually married Jonathan's
sister in reality. (I know there was a wife Michal who nagged about David
dancing during the victory parade, but I don't know if it's the same Michal
as Jonathan's sister.)

As you can probably tell, most of these are feminist revisions of the
Bible--I am not sure if they are what you are looking for.

Tawen