Re: McKinley: Damarian geography

From: Damien Raphael Sullivan <phoenix@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:40:04 PST

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:22:01 -0000
"alexandra kollontai" <aerin64@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a damarian geography question that I'd like to throw out. I was
> rereading _Sword_ a couple of weeks ago. I'm still trying to get my mind
> around what Damar must look like, with the Northerners in the North, the
> Damarians in the east and the orange groves in the south.
>
> Maybe there is no earth-type comparison. I've heard the comparison to
> India...but somehow that doesn't seem to work for me.

Damar would be in Northern "India"; the Northerners are stuck in the
Himalayas, which I suggest explains a lot about them (cf. my Timeline). I
think the Blue Sword gives us some other D-- name to describe the whole land
that Home has conquered, of which Damar is the northern obstreporous province.
And I'd hope India has orange groves. And the Damarians have the right
coloration for Indians.

Finding a resemblance between the cultures is another problem entirely. But
then, Tibetans and Nepalese hardly resemble demons with optional numbers of
limbs riding carnivorous horses.

-xx- Damien X-)