Re: McKinley: mary magdalen in fiction?

From: Maren Hanlon Williams <mhwillia@ole.augie.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 10:11:27 PDT

At 11:22 PM 10/23/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>hello! i was wondering if any of y'all had read any fictional books about
>mary magdalen(i thought i remembered someone mentioning a young adult book
>about her on this list, but i couldn't remember the title or author...),

You're probably looking for _Song of the Magdalen_ by Donna Jo Napoli, who
also wrote _Zel_, a rewrite of Rapunzel. It's been a few years since I've
read it, but as I remember it was quite good.

And a Mary Magdalen-related aside for anyone who cares: many French people
seriously believe that she had children with Jesus and that the early
rulers of France, the Merovingians, were direct descendants of them (this
partly explains French egotism). Next semester, I will be living in
Avignon, about thirty miles from where Mary Magdalen and the Virgin Mary
are said to have drifted ashore when they came to France. There is now a
tiny town there, in the middle of a swamp, called Les Saintes-Maries-de-Mer
in their honor. By the way, the French also lay claim to Merlin--they say
he came from Brittany.

Maren Hanlon Williams