Re: McKinley: HERO AND THE CROWN

From: alexandra kollontai <aerin64@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 08:28:05 PST

Jiroe,

btw, this is not an address for Robin McKinley!!! It is a list for people
who love her books! And Robin is a woman, not a man, although it might be
hard to tell from her name.

You also might need to reread _Hero_. Some of the answers to the questions
that you asked can be found by closely reading the passages.

>From my understanding, and anyone stop me if I remember wrongly, Damar is
not a person, it is a place. So I'm not sure what you mean when you asked
what Damar handed to Aerin.

As far as the dragon stone goes, as I'm sure you know, it was from the last
drops of blood from Maur's heart. The stones were the prizes that the hero
took back from killing a dragon, not the head (I can't remember whether or
not Luthe or Agsded told Aerin this). If you didn't understand that in the
end Aerin found that she had the tools for the crown all the time and (this
gets a little difficult to explain), that she travelled back in time to
actually create the crown, then you will need to reread the novel. This is
a main part of the book and very important to understanding what happened
and any symbolism.

Yes, she takes the crown back to the battle before the city and gives it to
Tor, who becomes the king (co-king?)and her husband.

If you are doing a report on Robin I recommend looking at "Something about
the Author". Any good children's librarian can show you the article on
Robin McKinley.

And if you still want to write to Robin McKinley I recommend sending a real
letter to Greenwillow Books (the address should be on the books) and they
will forward it to her. Sometimes this can take a couple of months, so not
in time for a report or project. Emails to this list do not go to her!

I love this book, (it's not even my favorite, _Sword_ is) and it is too bad
that you were not able to get all the wonder and magic from it that I was
and I suspect other people on this list have found.

Good Luck!
alex