Re: McKinley: sometimes the soul

From: Tawen Chang <tchang@law.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 20:16:21 PDT

i am actually only half way through the story. it's only about 80 pages,
so it's very different in flavor from something like McKinley's _Beauty_.
Also Timpanelli I think is a professional storyteller, and her prose
reminds me strongly of the oral tradition. (it's very beautiful too.) As
far as the development of the characters: even though the story is so
short, i do feel that the characters are unique. the funny thing is that
in some sense i like her supporting characters (like the Aunt and Uncle) as
much as, if not more than, the main characters....

tawen