Re: [McKinley: kennet]

From: Morgan Orceyre <morceyre@netscape.net>
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 12:23:43 PST

I seem to remember it being "kinet", but I'll have to double check when I get
home tonight.

mo

cslynn@mail.wm.edu wrote:
last night i was looking at a map of Thomas Hardy's "Wessex"(a land with lots
of imaginary place names that correspond to actual places in england) and came
across a place called "Kennetbridge" - "kennet" is the same spelling as that
for aerin's fire-ointment, right?(i left my copy of _hero_ at home so i can't
check it myself...) Robin herself is of course a big fan of Hardy(_Tess of the
D'Urbervilles_ being one of her favorite books) so maybe she had Kennetbridge
consciously or subconsciously in mind when the name/idea of "kennet" came to
her. does anyone know how Kennetbridge figures in Hardy's stories?(of course
it's not probably not as prominent as, say, "Castorbridge," but it must be in
there somewhere...). also, the actual place in england that corresponds to
Kennetbridge is "Newbury" - does Newbury have any particular historical
significance? sorry if all this is digging a little too deep, but until robin
comes out with more books it's all i have to think about!

Morgan Orceyre Hanzlik

Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On
my desk, I have a work station...

If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?