Re: McKinley: Random Horse Question

From: Sue A Deaver-Dill <DEAVER-DILL@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat Dec 12 1998 - 14:04:09 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer Moore <j_moore@csi.com>
To: mckinley@cco.caltech.edu <mckinley@cco.caltech.edu>
Date: Monday, December 07, 1998 7:16 PM
Subject: RE: McKinley: Random Horse Question

>As an interesting side note, Captain Mark Phillips in his book "On Riding"
>(35-36) shows how to vault on. He says that since he hurt his back, he
can't
>put his foot in the stirrup iron and it's the only way he can mount. He
says
>the secret is to jump, pull with the right arm and push with the left all
at
>the same time. Hmmm... I'm not that strong or coordinated. :) (When riding
>bareback, I use the less graceful "jump onto my stomach then slither around
>until I'm upright" method. <g>)
>
>--Jennifer
>J_Moore@csi.com
Mounting bareback works pretty well you just take a running jump too.
Thats what I always do, although my mare is VERY patient and 15.0 hands.
Not high strung and huge like Harry's Tsornin or Arin's Talat would have
been. Even the thought of riding a horse like that, with bridle and saddle,
makes my legs hurt.

BTW: Does McKinley ever make a definite statement about what breed the Hill
horses are? To me they sound like Arabians or TB, but I might be wrong. (It
has happened before :)

                                --Beca