RE: McKinley: Random Horse Question

From: Jennifer Moore <j_moore@csi.com>
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 19:03:39 PST

> Here's a stupid question.....If you're not goung to use the
> stirrups, what the
> heck is the saddle for????

To spread the weight of the rider over a larger area to keep the horse's
back from getting pressure sores. (Assuming the saddle fits correctly.) To
keep the backbone of the horse from making the rider very sore. ;) To attach
your other gear, like bedrolls and food. Actually, I used to ride bareback
for hours, and I don't think it made my pony sore, because I'd shift to a
slightly different spot whenever I'd start to get uncomfortable, so neither
of us had constant pressure at the same points the whole time.

As an interesting side note, Captain Mark Phillips in his book "On Riding"
(35-36) shows how to vault on. He says that since he hurt his back, he can't
put his foot in the stirrup iron and it's the only way he can mount. He says
the secret is to jump, pull with the right arm and push with the left all at
the same time. Hmmm... I'm not that strong or coordinated. :) (When riding
bareback, I use the less graceful "jump onto my stomach then slither around
until I'm upright" method. <g>)

--Jennifer
J_Moore@csi.com