[McKinley: summer suggestions?]

From: Damien R. Sullivan <phoenix@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 16:15:05 PDT

not the list. I forwarded this message from Betty, but not the others.
Check your addresses, especially if the message you send doesn't appear for
hours.]

> The Door in the Wall, de Angeli.... good
> Tuck Everlasting, Babbitt... OK
> The Ancient One, Barron
> Walk Two Moons, Creech
> Wise Child; Juniper, Furlong
> Quest for a Maid, Hendry
> An Acceptable Time, L'Engle... interesting
> The Black Pearl, O'Dell
> Jacob Have I Loved, Paterson.. terrific (try Bridge to Teribithia)
> Where the Red Fern Grows, Rawls... good
> The Egypt Game; The Headless Cupid; The Witches of Worm
> The Witch of Blackbird Pond... my daughter's class is reading this, it's good
; The Bronze Bow, Speare... excellent
> Call it Courage, Sperry
> Shabanu; Haveli, Staples

Try also "The View from Saturday" (new Newbery winner), the Prydain Chronicles, by Lloyd Alexander, the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, "The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey, "Izzy Willy-Nilly", "Jackaroo", "On Fortune's Wheel" and "Come a Stranger", all by Cynthia Voigt and my favorite classics, "A Little Princess", "Little Lord Fauntleroy" and "The Lost Prince", all by Frances Hodgson Burnett. If you run across any more good ones, please share. I'm a K-8 librarian and am always looking for good books that the older kids might enjoy, whether they are for YA or grown-ups. I am at a Christian school, so a lot of the YA stuff (Walter Dean Myers,Christopher Pike, Robert Cormier, etc.) isn't what we're looking for for the collection. I do get suggestions from the kids, but they tend to do it in clumps (last year all alexander, this year all Jacques, etc.), so anyone who has titles they think would be good, please send them to me. Thanks! (Sorry so long... I get carried away whe!
!
n it comes to reading...)

       Betty Winslow
"I know not what tomorrow holds,